The inaugural Celebration of Champions reception and awards ceremony recognized six locals as leaders in Pittsburgh's industries on June 18 at the Station Square Sheraton.
After the community nominated and voted on the winners earlier this year, the award recipients each received $1,000 to donate to their favorite local charity.
In addition to living or working in the Pittsburgh region, the winners were chosen for demonstrating excellence in their field through leadership, achievement and volunteerism.
The six industry categories included health care; technology; education; tourism and hospitality; first responders/military/veterans; and sports/arts and entertainment.
The following individuals accepted their awards:
- Health care: Nancy Stitt, co-founder of International Transplant Nurses Society
- Technology: Jim Jen, executive director and co-founder of AlphaLab
- ?Education: Cindy Bostick of Communities In Schools Pittsburgh Allegheny County, mentor coordinator within the Be A Mentor Program
- Tourism and hospitality: Sylvia McCoy, founder and owner of ‘Burgh Bits & Bites
- First responders/military/veterans: James O’Conner, veteran and local platoon leader of The Mission Continues organization
- Sports/arts and entertainment: Joe Negri, jazz guitarist and teacher at the University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University and Carnegie Mellon University
Additional information about the Celebration of Champions can be found here