Jennifer Scanlon Roach has been the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh’s associate director of visitor services since 2003 and "this is the first time we've been able to make this concept work," she says.
This concept is “We (Heart) Members Days,” in which nine local cultural institutions have agreed to give the members of each venue free access to all the others on selected days in February:
- Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Sat., Feb. 1
- Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, Sun., Feb. 2
- Senator John Heinz History Center, Sat., Feb. 8
- Mattress Factory, Sun., Feb. 9
- Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh, Sat., Feb. 15
- Frick Art & Historical Center, Sun., Feb. 16
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, Mon., Feb. 17
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Sat., Feb. 22
- National Aviary, Sun., Feb. 23
Details are available at the individual websites of each organization.
"When you look around we all benefit from these cultural arts in Pittsburgh," says Roach. "We really hope its adding to current member benefits to our organizations, so they can not only know what it's like to be a member of the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, for instance, but can explore other cultural institutions in Pittsburgh and see what it's like to be a member as well."
Each organization will also be such additional benefits as a 10 percent discount in some venue gift shops and a 10 percent discount on new memberships.
"It's not a matter of visiting once and checking it off your Pittsburgh bucket list," Roach adds. "We're hoping people will discover that there is so much more these institutions offer on a membership basis."
Writer: Marty Levine
Source: Jennifer Scanlon Roach, Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh