Looking for our next great Managing Editor
Pop City, the weekly online magazine covering urban development, innovation, the arts and other issues in Pittsburgh, is seeking a Managing Editor to direct the publication’s coverage of Pittsburgh’s new economy and the region’s continued revitalization.
The ideal candidate will have experience writing and editing high-quality magazine-style features, a basic knowledge of urban issues, economic development, innovation and technology, as well as a willingness to learn, and passion for all things Pittsburgh.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have an instinct for reader-friendly tech stories, be savvy about online publishing and social media, and possess an interest in issues affecting the area. Candidates should be based in Pittsburgh and have a good grasp of its neighborhoods.
Managing Editor responsibilities include:
- Driving the editorial vision and mission (process, standards, etc.)
- Coordinating the content of Pop City every week
- Leading regular editorial meetings with your team
- Identifying, interviewing and hiring news and freelance writers as needed (contract templates and W9’s will be provided by IMG)
- Managing contracts for news and freelance writers
- Coordinating photography in collaboration with the Managing Photographer
- Assigning feature stories and identifying new story ideas
- Managing and using social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter etc.)
- Editing, loading and linking feature stories, abstracts (intros) & final proofing
- Editing Development, Innovation, For Good, Jobs, Founders, Company, Buzz sections
- Assist in oversight of special projects as applicable ("For Good" section, Jobs landed/available, projects database, blogs, Filter section, etc.)
- Coordinating with IMG publishers and managers
- Participating in a 1-hour monthly/quarterly conference call with IMG editors
- Managing a monthly budget and controlling editorial costs while working with IMG accounting team
- Managing tags and underwriting programs as needed
- Effectively re-using content from statewide sister publication Keystone Edge as well as occasional multi-market content (with effective localization)
- Writing at least one feature story per month, payment for which is included in the weekly retainer
This is a part-time, contract position that is specifically designed for freelance writers and editors (or other individuals who are interested in seeking freelance writing work). Successful ME’s understand how to effectively balance competing demands on time.
This is a fun, interesting, rewarding position within a fast-growing, new media company. More info about Pop City here
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and three clips to Lee Chilcote