El Burro Comedor
opened last week in the Central Northside, offering take-out burritos and tacos. The eatery is owned by Wes DeRenouard, and Derek Burnell, co-owner of Round Corner Cantina, in Lawrenceville.
DeRenouard describes the food as border-style Mexican food, which in addition to tacos and burritos also includes chilaquiles, carne asada fries, and the Tijuana Street Dog—a bacon-wrapped hotdog topped with avocado or pico de gallo.
Located at 1108 Federal Street, El Burro is the latest opening in a series of revitalization projects in the Federal-North corridor. The restaurant is across from the Garden Theater Block redevelopment, where several historic renovations are currently in progress.
Also along Federal Street are the $15 million Federal Hill housing development, and the Allegheny branch of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, which opened in 2009 on the site of a former gas station.
El Burro’s building, which was previously home to Toula’s Restaurant, was recently renovated by developer Bill Barron. In addition to the improved restaurant space, the second floor has been renovated as a single apartment unit. Barron is also responsible for the renovation of the nearby Crazy Mocha and Deli on North buildings, on North Avenue.
Burrito offerings at El Burro include chorizo, chile relleno, carne asada and rice, bean and cheese, with prices ranging from $4 to $8. Tacos at $2.50, include shrimp, shredded beef, and carnitas, among others. Soda offerings includ eJarritos, the popular Mexican soda featuring flavors such as tamarind and guava, and Mexican Coke.
El Burro is one of several restaurants to open in the lower Northside in recent months. Earlier this year, Parkhurst Dining Services opened Eco Bistro
within the Allegheny Center Mall, an earth-friendly lunch spot that focuses on fresh and local ingredients.
Writer: Andrew Moore
Source: Wes DeRenouard