The story of Dick's Sporting Goods' rise to national retail greatness begins with the apple pie tale of a bright young man, his grandmother and $300 in the cookie jar.
With her encouragement and a lot of gumption, Richard "Dick" Stack and his brother opened a bait and tackle shop in Binghamton, NY in 1948. The store did well, but it wasn't until his son Ed took over the two-store chain in 1984 that Dick's made its move, relocating its headquarters to Pittsburgh and initiating a series of acquisitions and an IPO destined to make it the largest full-line sporting goods specialty retailer in the country.
Today that history is recalled in a black and white family photo in the company's foyer in Robinson, offices on the move again as the company expands and relocates to its third headquarters early next year. The $107.5 million project, located on Allegheny County Airport Authority's 400-acre Northfield Development site in Findlay Township, promises even more employee-friendly amenities, including outdoor walking and running trails, an exercise facility, healthy food and a state-of-the-art concept retail space.
Dick's began gobbling up other sporting goods retailers across the country with the 2004 purchase of 48 Gaylan's locations in the Midwest. In February 2007, the company acquired Golf Galaxy, which became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dick's through a merger, and on November of 2007, Dick's added all of the outstanding stock of Chick's Sporting Goods in California, another wholly-owned subsidiary of Dick's.
Today Dick's has 420 stores in 40 states, 91 Golf Galaxy stores and an online site. The company is an active participant in the region and a major supporter of local sports and community events including the Pittsburgh Marathon, U.S. Soccer, Little League, and a major golf tournament.
Writer: Debra Diamond Smit